POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
14 May 2024 09:55:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Chris Cason
Date: 4 Jul 2020 05:41:29
Message: <5f004ec9@news.povray.org>
I was going to post a long reply but have come to the conclusion that
really it doesn't matter how we got to this point, what matters is where
we go.

Yes we have a manpower issue. Yes I have not helped by not steering the
boat. To be honest, though, after more than 25 years involvement in the
project I see my role more as one of keeping POV-Ray stable and making
sure that it works as designed on modern CPU's and modern operating systems.

I have not done feature development for some time and as I have moved
away from C++ professionally (I primarily develop in C# in my day job
nowadays) I'm really not the best person to be doing core work anymore
(that's not to say I can't, just that I feel it's best left to someone
who is using C++ on a regular basis).

Clipka has apparently moved on to doing other things. We had been hoping
he was just taking some time off but it's pretty clear by now that we
can't expect him back.

Where to go from here? What can you guys do to help? Good questions. Let
me ping the other guys on our mailing list and see what they think.

-- Chris