POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Function / pattern issues. New inbuilt f_elliptical_sphrswp(). : Re: Function / pattern issues. New inbuilt f_elliptical_sphrswp(). Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:27:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function / pattern issues. New inbuilt f_elliptical_sphrswp().
From: Alain Martel
Date: 14 Jun 2020 12:29:30
Message: <5ee6506a$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5ee4b9e3%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5ee4dc4b%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

> To povr adding new f_elliptical_sphrswp(). As Cousin_Ricky has
> mentioned, it is not a match for an elliptical torus (supertoroid 1,1
> asymmetric a,b), but probably something useful. See attached images.
>
> Of note the implementation is testing out a torus pre-filter - my f_dual
> idea to improve isosurface performance. Idea works for performance, but
> it introduces a gradient change away from the surface so there are
> always max gradient warnings. The actual gradient to use is always
> around 1.0 for the sweep itself. So, need to figure out smarter max
> gradient determination (near roots); Create a warning on/off option for
> isosurfaces(1) - or do both.
>

> Bill P.

Assuming a threshold of zero, using min(f_elliptical_sphrswp() , 1)
should clamp out the areas of high gradient.
If the threshold is, or need to be, around 1, use something like 1.5 to
2 as the clamping value.

May be worth a try.