POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speeding up rendering many spheres : Re: Speeding up rendering many spheres Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up rendering many spheres
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 May 2020 12:24:45
Message: <5eb2e4cd$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/6/20 11:47 AM, Nicolas George wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a scene made of 200k spheres merged on a path (like a sphere_sweep,
> but with changing pigment and a ringed look), few are big, many are tiny and
> barely visible. Unsurprisingly, it is taking forever to render.
>
> I am looking for ways to speed it up.
>
> My attempt was to group the spheres in sub-merges, and let POV-Ray compute
> bounding boxes for these groups. It helps, a little, but not much. Not
> enough to make the scene possible.
>
> My next attempt would probably be to try to add explicit bounded_by on the
> groups.
>
> I could experiment by myself, but people here probably have insight: do you
> have advice on the most efficient way to speed this up?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at bounding mode 2 (+bm2)? If not that's worth a shot.

Related: There are issues in v37 and the official v38 branch - mitigated
'somewhat' in my povr solver branch - with tiny sphere intersections
getting dropped when they should not be. Applies to a few other objects
too a situations too. Depends on exactly how the rays approach.

This can affect Anti-Aliasing time somewhat substantially because the
spheres are basically blinking in and out of existence...  There is,
IIRC, some related discussion buried in the github pull req #358 comments.

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/pull/358

Bill P.