POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Function / pattern issues. New f_repeat(). : Re: Function / pattern issues. New f_repeat(). Server Time
8 May 2024 01:03:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function / pattern issues. New f_repeat().
From: Alain Martel
Date: 3 May 2020 12:14:43
Message: <5eaeedf3$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5e9cce19%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5ea57285%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

> ---
> In povr have implemented a new f_repeat() function which is like the
> existing repeat warp in some respects, but mostly implements some
> SDL/TCL functionality I've had in my toolbox for a while as an inbuilt
> function with the significant improvement of embedding the cells like
> pattern mapping so it need not be calculated and maintained apart.
>
> My toolbox has a bunch of other half done stuff too, but thinking to
> pile it all in one function likely to get sluggish, so leaving that for
> probably another version - f_repeatMoreAndSlower() - or something. :-)
>
> Parameters: x, y, z
> Thirteen extra parameter required:
> 1.  If 0, return new x.
>      If 1, return new y.
>      If 2, return new z.
>      If 3, return matched cells pattern value  0 to 1 interval.
>      If 4, return matched cells pattern value -1 to 1 interval.
> 2.  Count in x.
> 3.  Count in y.
> 4.  Count in z.
> 5.  Delta in x.
> 6.  Delta in y.
> 7.  Delta in z.
>
> Direction. If 0, count applied +-. If <0, count applied - only. If >0,
> count
> applied + only.
>
> 8.  Direction in x.
> 9.  Direction in y.
> 10. Direction in z.
> 11. Cells pattern offset in x.
> 12. Cells pattern offset in y.
> 13. Cells pattern offset in z.

Why not use :
2 Count in X, Y, Z as a vector <X, Y, Z>
3 Delta as vector <X, Y, Z>
4, 5, 6 Individual directions. Allow for non-orthogonal patterns.
7 Cell pattern offset vector <X, Y, Z>

The later one may also be split in 3 to allow for more variation.