POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii : Re: RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii Server Time
27 Apr 2024 05:51:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 2 May 2020 12:43:48
Message: <5eada344$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/2/20 9:51 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> I also have to bring up the parametric object speed again - I haven't yet dug
> into the source for that, but it doesn't really make any sense why that should
> be any slower than any of the rest of the object primitives, or at least THAT
> much slower.
> Maybe the reason for its drag can point to clues for speeding up ALL of the
> function evaluations?

I don't use it, but forgot about your mention of parametric...

I'm not sure why so slow either though suppose we should expect it to be
3x slower as a sort of baseline. Never looked at it with any of the
performance tools. Next time I have a compile set up for profiling I'll
try to remember to run a parametric or two. Maybe something will pop out.

I've dug a little into parametric shadow issues. I think Jerome has a
github issue open on the parametric for something similar. Didn't dig
deep, but looked to me like the code only returns one root which can be
an problem for shadows.

Bill P.