POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc. : Re: Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc. Server Time
1 May 2024 23:58:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc.
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 17 Apr 2020 11:09:25
Message: <5e99c6a5@news.povray.org>
On 20200416 8:38 AM (-4), William F Pokorny wrote:

> I didn't post details, but I've played with alternate methods to code,
> f_sphere, for example. Something to avoid the sqrt() because it's
> expensive CPU wise. The other forms have higher gradients and we always
> lose big in isosurface time. In other words the gradient is king with
> our current solver.

I have found non-linear gradients to be more expensive than sqrt()
calls.  If I have a quadratic isosurface function (which is the case
with RE_fn_Blob2() in the Object Collection), I will use a sqrt()
without hesitation in my SDL to flatten out the gradient.  I imagine
that the contrast would be even greater with native sqrt() calls, since
they would not have to go through an interpreter.