POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Function / pattern issues. Updating cubic_wave. : Re: Function / pattern issues. Updating cubic_wave. Server Time
3 May 2024 07:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function / pattern issues. Updating cubic_wave.
From: Alain Martel
Date: 5 Apr 2020 12:57:44
Message: <5e8a0e08$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-04-05 à 12:12, William F Pokorny a écrit :

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5da21410%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5dab3f55%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5dbc6985%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5dd8006c%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

> As discussed previously, I've added a new wave modifier mode called
> function_interval which works in the -1 to 1 range instead of the usual
> pattern range of 0 to 1. As part of this working to update all the
> existing *_wave modifiers to work in both ranges.
>
> Found with the cubic_wave (does anyone really use it today?) when, eons
> ago, the inversion of negative values was introduced to get continuity
> (non-flipping at) while moving from negative to positive values through
> 0.0 the cubic pattern was apparently not updated and the continuity was
> mostly broken for it as can be seen in the upper left of the attached
> image applying it to a gradient x pattern.
>
> I worked to fix this, but then could see no advantage for cubic_wave
> over what we already have with sine_wave. I was going to delete it, but
> have decided for povr, to change the existing cubic wave modifier for
> both ranges into a bump (selection) function of sorts. The result of
> this can be seen in the upper right of the attached image again applying
> it against a gradient x pattern.
>
> Today if we try a pattern with cubic_wave like:
>
> granite cubic_wave frequency 3.3 phase -0.5
>
> and use it as an offset to the y plane in an isosurface, we get the
> lower right results in the attached image. It's something, but it has
> awful continuity and is really useful only for noisy results of one kind
> or another.
>
> In the lower right is the bump function result with runs in nearly 1/3
> the time because it maintains the incoming continuity while providing
> for results much more likely to be useful.
>
> Bill P.

This looks like an improvement.
As I very rarely encounter that wave type, i don't think that it will
break anything.