POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for a way to create recursive objects in povray : looking for a way to create recursive objects in povray Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  looking for a way to create recursive objects in povray
From: Rick D
Date: 10 Mar 2005 18:05:13
Message: <5dj13150g5t1ncv90ipa6uran0kpgr4o16@4ax.com>
Hi all,

I have a question about the use of recursive object-unions in povray.

This is what i want to do:

***

My basic shape is made up from a sphere and 4 cylinders. And is
basically a ball with 8 pins sticking out of it (every 45 degrees, all
in one plane). See ascii diagram.

<pre>

\|/
-O-
/|\

</pre>

I've created a union of these objects and can now use it like this:

union   { my_basic_shape
rotate <0 ,0 ,0>
scale <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>
translate <0.0, 0.0, 0.0>
}

***

The next thing i want to do is attach a scaled and rotated
my_basic_shape object-union to the end of each cylinder that sticks
out of the original my_basic_shape object-union. And repeat this for
the new objects, etc ..

***

With the povray knowledge i have at this moment i would have to hard
code each separate object. But i'm sure this sort of thing can be done
using some kind of automated loop with variables, but i haven't been
able to find information about this so far.

If anyone could help me out with this, or point me to a site with
relevant information or a similar example i would really appreciate
it.

Best regards,
Rick D.