POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray version and installation instructions : Re: POV-Ray version and installation instructions Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:05:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray version and installation instructions
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 21 Nov 2019 07:52:21
Message: <5dd68885$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/20/19 1:47 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> apt-cache search povray
>
> gives me:
>
> airstrike-common - 2d dogfight game - data files
> gdis - molecular and crystal model viewer
> gpsprune - visualize, edit, convert and prune GPS data
> povray - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer)
> povray-examples - Persistence of vision raytracer (3D renderer) sample files
> povray-includes - Persistance of vision raytracer (3D renderer) include files
> qtpovray - Qt IDE for POV-Ray (a 3D renderer)
> qtpovray-extras - Help, samples, and example data files for qtpovray.
> qtpovray-includes - POV-Ray include files for qtpovray.
>
> So I'm assuming that I can just do
>
> sudo apt-get install povray
>
> and the next time I do "upgrade", it will update anything...?

Yes(1). Though we've already installed from compiles ourselves so I
admit to being unsure what might happen if we now did such an install.

(1) - What version gets installed and maintained for particular linux
distributions changes. After an official v3.8 release what you'd get, as
povray, in any given linux distribution would over time change to v3.8
but the timing is controlled by those putting together the linux
distributions and their package/application repositories.

> Perhaps there's a 3rd party system we can take advantage of - or something on
> the news.povray server that could run in parallel.
> People I know run a forum using Simple Machines (and I don't think they're
> advanced tech people, so it ought to be easy...)
> FUDforum looks like it supports Thunderbird, which i know people here use a lot.

Perhaps. You and others understand web infrastructure stuff much better
than me.

Got to say, though, I'm with Le Forgeron on leaning hard toward much
simpler linux point tools and methods over more tangled solutions for
reasons of support and stability. Other stuff has been tried and over
the long haul it all breaks and degrades without an adequate core of
continual support. I think we should be looking for ways to trim - to go
lean.

> I don't necessarily think that much needs to be done in terms of drastic
> changes.
> Most of what I'd like to see is updated information and minor improvements in
> ease-of-use.   Allowing attachments in all of the sections of the forum would be
> great, and maybe some mechanism for allowing larger uploads.

 From Thunderbird you can add attachments to groups today though how
this shows up on the web newsgroup interface - or not - varies. It's the
case too that not all groups are listed on the web interface.

Related to larger uploads. As far as I know there is just one server and
it's old (10 years+ ?).

> And removal of that vertical line artifact in the logo at the top right.   ;)

Hmm. Do you mean the lack of anti-aliasing (or a bad scale up) in the
logo?  I don't see a vertical line - but my vision isn't what it used to
be! :-)

Bill P.