POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar with i= : Re: SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyonefamiliar with i= Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:08:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyonefamiliar with i=
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Nov 2019 02:25:01
Message: <5dd4ea4d$1@news.povray.org>
Op 19/11/2019 om 18:50 schreef Alain Martel:
> This is a mesh sphere. The triangle are places where the triangles
> composing the sphere are actually pointing away from the light but their
> normals would demand that they be illuminated.
>
> The usual solutions are :
> Subdivide the mesh. (make the triangles smaller)
> Use an area_light with the area_illumination feature. (make the
> terminator more fuzzy)
> Rotate the object or change the location of the light. (shift the
> problem area out of view or shift the light so that it no longe cause
> the problem)
>
> None of those are perfect. All often still show those triangles, but
> make them less visible or smaller. The last option listed can, in some
> cases, hide the problem area, but probably won't work in this case.

I agree. In my personal experience with mesh2 objects, subdivision is
the best way to go. It means heavy subdivision is some cases, especially
when dealing with smooth objects. Additionally, this can be alleviated
to some extend by applying a (micro) normal to the object, as this also
helps to hide the triangles.

--
Thomas