POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar with i= : Re: SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar wi= Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SEVERE shadow problems with Blender POV renders?? Is anyone familiar wi=
From: Alain Martel
Date: 19 Nov 2019 12:56:23
Message: <5dd42cc7$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2019-11-19 à 07:27, jr a écrit :
> hi,
>
> "tmelram" <taj### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>>> not sure of the cause, but changing the light_source makes for a smooth shadow
>>> line, ie I did:
>>
>> Thanks, it worked!. But, it seems to have flipped the direction of the light.
>
> yes.  I left out the transform.
>
>> It's either upside-down,backwards, or both. I chose a simple sphere with one
>> light just to test. But for a more complex scene it might help to know what
>> exactly did you change to make it so that there wouldn't be any triangles. What
>> did you do?
>
> nothing else.
>
> as Mr and B Pokorny have mentioned, perhaps use a "real" sphere, or, if there's
> a need for the mesh2, try using 'smooth triangles' (see documentation on 'mesh2'
> object).
>
> sorry to be of little help, I do not use Blender.
>
>> Also I found this article:
>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:The_Shadow_Line_Artifact
>>
>> What do you think of it and the solutions?
>
> depending on the scene you're working on, I think playing with 'shadowless' in
> the lights, and or with 'no_shadow' object modifier, is definitely worth trying.
>

> regards, jr.

The model already use smooth_triangle.

Using shadowless will kill any highlight from that light. It will also
render the use of photons impossible as shadowless light NEVER shoot any
photon.

Using no_shadow may hide those artefacts by suppressing self shadowing,
but the object will no longer cast any shadow in the scene.