POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave) : Re: Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave) Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:25:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt at isosurface semi-arid ground cover. (raw_wave)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Nov 2019 02:35:55
Message: <5dc1265b$1@news.povray.org>
Op 04/11/2019 om 14:57 schreef William F Pokorny:
>> I love this isosurface technique of yours!
>>
>> Here is an example of my tweaking. I had to increase threshold to
>> about 0.5 as at 0.0 nothing showed up. I replaced raw_wave by
>> poly_wave 0.16 for the green and by sine_wave for the other two
>> patterns. I also played around with (scaled) warp {turbulence} instead
>> of turbulence. And finally, I used different values of accuracy for
>> the different isosurfaces. Did also a bit of work on the textures.
>>

> Ah, cool! Glad you got it to work. I'm so used to working at a threshold
> of 0 for isosurfaces I didn't even think about changing it so the new
> raw_wave was not needed(1).
>
> What I intended to be dead / dried ground cover shows up much better in
> your render too (your poly_wave use maybe? (2)).
>
> Playing with accuracy is a good idea too. I didn't think to try that and
> I expect it a useful 'effects knob' here like gradient.

The dried, sandy ground is a bit more contrasting thanks to tweaked
textures, while using sine_wave. the used accuracy is 0.005 and 0.0005
respectively for these two isosurfaces. In contrast, the vegetation uses
poly_wave, a scale-dependent warp turbulence, and a still smaller
accuracy (0.00005).

--
Thomas