POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation? : Re: v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation? Server Time
6 May 2024 00:42:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 15 Oct 2019 08:23:34
Message: <5da5ba46@news.povray.org>
On 10/13/19 5:14 PM, jr wrote:

> in a way I'm surprised that POV-Ray does not contain its own low-level maths
> library, I'd have thought that an advantage.

If I'm following your meaning. There is some. Some even in the shipped
SDL includes.

> so, I wonder (not knowing the code
> base + off the top of my head) whether collecting various low-level routines
> into a "convenience" library included with POV-Ray would not help with platform
> independence/"implementation differences".

Again improvement possible in this vein though I don't expect it to help
much with platform issues - if we have many.

Truth is POV-Ray is really good at compiling and running the same way on
any platform with a standards compliant C++ compiler. The core
developers have worked hard at to make this so.

I was speaking of a few concerns - those mostly given recent past
vector.h behavior in not getting the C++ standard include for abs. It
just happened the code involved here touches on those 'concerns.' Had
OSX and Windows users tested, it was as much to confirm no differences
as anything. I think we 'might' have a soft spot - but maybe not, it's a
worry.

> libraries like the GSL (see
> attached) are highly optimised and easily wrapped/"plundered".

Yeah, such suggestions always sound good - to me too on first glance.
The devils are in the details...

In looking at the solvers I've looked on and off at gsl, eigen, Intel's
embree(sp?) package and others. I borrowed ideas for updates to our
common quadratic solver from a CERN math package. The julia language
itself is interesting in that it might eventually be a path to an llvm
jit implementation POV-Ray could use - but I think it too unstable to
consider seriously at this point. Julia is in the shiny, new, gazillion
commits a day phase. Aside: I see julia as an implementation of try this
math on the fly ideas CERN has been doing themselves for a long time by
hacking C or C++. So many languages, packages, and papers out there...
One just drowns in the noise.

I'm looking again at eigen's nD vector support of late as an alternative
to vector.h which - it appears - is tangled in a negative performance
impact 3.7 to 3.8. But more interested due my immediate solver work
needs for flexibility with respect to the 'n' part of nD. I'd like our
vector.h to be just what I need and it isn't. :-)

Anyway. What can I say somewhat quickly. With my solver work one aim has
been moving my code in a direction which makes plugging in a common
library more doable. Still, lots of details would hang us up. Just
trying to plug in standard solvers where it could be done technically
(you'd get roots) is iffy because ours are often ray tracer tweaked
solvers. A lot of the code you find, in sage for example, has the
solvers set up for more than direct on floating point hardware reals too
- meaning the code is often built upon largish software packages
themselves - which makes extracting just what we want harder.

Making parts and pieces of gsl et al available as functions in the
POV-Ray VM could be interesting. There, not be being tangled in the
larger POV-Ray code base might make it easier to do.

Bill P.