POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation? : Re: v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation? Server Time
6 May 2024 06:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 Isosurface artefacts test case. Windows/OSX confirmation?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 13 Oct 2019 14:37:00
Message: <5da36ecc$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/13/19 11:19 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>>
>>> same artefacts (identical looking) on a Slackware box, using
>>> 3.8.0-alpha.10013324.unofficial.
>>>
>> Thanks jr.
>
> pleasure.
>
> (am dismayed -- riled, actually -- that no Windows/Mac users found the few
> minutes it took, apparently)

> regards, jr.

:-) Ah, everyone is busy and focused upon what they're focused upon. I'm
bad at even minor task switching/juggling. Plus! Could be they see the
man off wandering in the weeds - as a man off wandering in the weeds.

While I think I understand what's happening, results from POV-Ray
compiled with other compilers still of some interest should anyone be
motivated to test.

---
The code involved makes use of abs/fabs, min, max and the like.
Behaviors of which - especially when you don't get the expected C++
standard library version(1) - can be different.

(1) - As happened with vector.h abs() use when linux users initially
tried the v3.8 user defined camera. The immediate fix was to use fabs(),
but on my to-do, someday, list to look at vector.h more closely. I
suspect it still the case we are getting the c99 math functions in
vector.h and not the standard library versions due cyclic includes, but
maybe not, and maybe I should stop looking for weeds to whack.

Related to (1): Had the thought to perhaps enforce std::abs, std::min,
std::max use over bare abs/fabs ?/..., min, max names enabled with
'using...' statements in coretypes.h & types.h. These in particular are
known to have MS VS to other compiler implementation differences.

Bill P.