POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : translation / rotation query : translation / rotation query Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:01:36 EDT (-0400)
  translation / rotation query
From: Bob Frew
Date: 18 Sep 2019 14:51:14
Message: <5d827ca2@news.povray.org>
Hi ,
does anyone knows a way to achieve the following.

For any line with p1 and p2 as the end points to translate/rotate as
necessary to put
         p1 at <0,0,0> and p2 on the x axis
I need to then know necessary translate/rotate to be able to put them
back.

I can see how to do this by evaluating all possible orientations for p2
after moving p1 to <0,0,0>
This will end up very "heavy duty" so (as I know nothing of matrices
etc.) I thought I would ask you guys if there is a more elegant way
before going down that road.

Hopeful     ... Bob

A pointer in the right direction would be good (no pun intended)