POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Need help to measure performance of Povray : Re: Need help to measure performance of Povray Server Time
27 Apr 2024 00:11:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help to measure performance of Povray
From: Alain
Date: 28 Jun 2019 11:36:50
Message: <5d163412$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-06-28 à 06:13, Deepak a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am new to try with Povray application. I am trying to test performance of
> various compiler like (gcc, clang) on CPU with
> scenes/advanced/benchmark/benchmark.pov (as suggested here-
> http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php)
>
> What I observed is the rendering is finishing in ~1.5 seconds only.
> So it's difficult to compare the results with various compiler for such short
> duration.
>
> Is there any large data set which runs for considerable time? or how to change
> or what parameter to change on .ini file to run it with considerable time.
>

> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Deepak

Some things that you can do that will increase the rendering time :
(original values from the ini file)
For the INI file :
Increase the resolution. Something like 4000 by 4000 (512 by 512)
Lower the antialias threshold to 0.01 (0.3) and Sampling_method=2 (1)
Set High_Reproducibility=on (off)

Within the scene itself :
Turn radiosity ON (this will have a large effect):
#declare use_radiosity = true; (false)
In the global_settings block:
Set max_trace_level to 255 (12)
Increase the radiosity count to 800 (80)
Set nearest_count to 20 (5)
Reduce error_bound to 0.2, or even 0.1 (0.5)
Change low_error_factor to 0.2 (0.5)
Increase recursion_limit to 3 (1)
Increase the photons quality:
Set photons{spacing 0.001} (0.007) [this will multiply the number of
photons shot by 49]

Change the area_light:
light_source {
    <-0.7, 0.83, 0.24>*150000
    color rgb <3.43,2.87,1.95>
    #if (use_area_light=true)
       area_light 4000*x 4000*y  129,129 (4,4)
   adaptive 3 //added Will start sampling at 9 by 9
       jitter
       orient
       circular
    #end

    media_attenuation on
    media_interaction on

}

In the definition of M_Watx4, add dispersion :
    interior {
       ior 1.31
dispersion 1.01 //added
dispersion_samples 20 //added