POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tetrahedral planetoid : Re: Tetrahedral planetoid Server Time
3 May 2024 04:26:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tetrahedral planetoid
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Jun 2019 02:33:23
Message: <5d106eb3$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-6-2019 22:48, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> So the previous iterations have been a little unsatisfactory; because I was
> using a constant shell height, each successive step got progressively narrower,
> and the buildings all got squashed together.
>
> The image here shows two different strategies: on the left, the original with
> constant step height. On the right, a revised algorithm using constant step
> width. The latter of course means that each successive step now gets
> progressively higher.
>
> I think I prefer the revised look! Naturally I'll need to do something inventive
> with the buildings to stop them from just looking stretched out. Some kind of
> turret-based thing would be good, then I could hide the sharp ends of the apex
> levels at the same time...
>
> Fun fun fun
>
> Bill

Both strategies have their merits imho. It much depends on what kind of
final outlook you want. In the original case, that would be a "South
Italian" village with the upper level houses all imbricated and holding
to the slope as it were (you could introduce some random shifting and/or
rotation for instance). In the second case, that would be a "Tuscan"
fortified village, with a castle at the top. All in true Escher style of
course :-)

--
Thomas