POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Lumens in LightSysIV? : Re: Lumens in LightSysIV? Server Time
17 Apr 2024 20:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lumens in LightSysIV?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Jun 2019 02:48:42
Message: <5d01f1ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 13-6-2019 4:50, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 6/12/2019 1:25 PM, Alain wrote:
>> For the Sun, don't bother with light fading : Use a light with the
>> parallel option and you are good. Unless your scene scale is
>> interplanetary, the fading over the extent of your scene is totally
>> negligible.
>>
>> For the extent of the Sun when using an area_light, make it's diameter
>> about 0.01 of the distance. Not exact, but close enough.
>>
>> For more normal lights, the fade_power must be 2. No other value is
>> realistic.
>>
>> For fade_distance : Make it small. For an area_light, it should be
>> about the width of the light. For point light, a value of about 0.1 is
>> correct.
>>

> Thanks. What about Lumens? Should Lumens always equal 1 for parallel
> lights mimicking the Sun?

With LightsysIV, I never bother with lumens. I use CIE which is part of
the package:

#include "CIE.inc"
#declare SunCol  = Blackbody(6500)*Intensity; //Sun temperature:
2800=red; 7500=blue white.

For position and diameter of the Sun, I use:

#declare SunPos  = vrotate(<0, 0, -2>*10e5, <Sun_alt, Sun_azm, 0.0>);
#declare SunDia  = vlength(SunPos)*2/215;  //apparent diameter of the Sun

The later is a formula by Cousin Ricky (somewhen in 2007 I think).

--
Thomas