POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Having a try at light distributions : Re: Having a try at light distributions Server Time
1 May 2024 19:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Having a try at light distributions
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 25 May 2019 05:02:35
Message: <5ce904ab$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/24/19 8:59 PM, Alain wrote:
> Le 19-05-24 à 08:39, William F Pokorny a écrit :
>>
>> If the normals are so small at the scene scale they cannot be seen, it
>> makes sense compute resource wise to remove them no matter. In a
>> strange way, seeing the black artifacts was an indication texture
>> normals too small existed and we no longer have this in v38.
>>

> The normals can be very small intentionally. If you want some blurred
> reflection, or refraction, one common way is to use normals deliberately
> scaled very small and use anti-aliasing.
>
> In this case, you really don't want to have them removed as your
> object's appearance depends on those micro-normals.

Good point. What is meaningful with respect to texture normals depends
on the textures involved. Radiosity has its own dependencies when
normals are on/respected. The situation as a whole is complex. Further,
I both do not understand significant portions of the normal handling
code and know too with respect to warps there is code which looks to be
unfinished.

Norbert's problem normals were tangled in turbulence of some kind as I
vaguely remember.

Bill P.