POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Having a try at light distributions : Re: Having a try at light distributions Server Time
1 May 2024 23:01:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Having a try at light distributions
From: Alain
Date: 24 May 2019 20:58:50
Message: <5ce8934a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-05-24 à 08:39, William F Pokorny a écrit :
> On 5/23/19 2:30 PM, Norbert Kern wrote:
>> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

>> Since you are asking directly - my problems were solved after this
>> special IRTC
>> round by deleting small normals at the normal section - what else....
>> No, it wasn't that easy, but anyway...
>>
>> Since then I deleted small normals, when black spots occured. Of
>> course I'm
>> curious of the root cause, but my focus is more on the result...
>> But here I'm curious...
>>

> If the normals are so small at the scene scale they cannot be seen, it
> makes sense compute resource wise to remove them no matter. In a strange
> way, seeing the black artifacts was an indication texture normals too
> small existed and we no longer have this in v38.

The normals can be very small intentionally. If you want some blurred
reflection, or refraction, one common way is to use normals deliberately
scaled very small and use anti-aliasing.

In this case, you really don't want to have them removed as your
object's appearance depends on those micro-normals.

Alain