POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Having a try at light distributions : Re: Having a try at light distributions Server Time
2 May 2024 00:44:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Having a try at light distributions
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 24 May 2019 09:48:12
Message: <5ce7f61c@news.povray.org>
On 5/15/19 10:04 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 5/13/19 7:29 AM, Jasper wrote:
>
> Hmm, I have to say I'm curious about the regularity of those black
> spots. The numerical issues I've hit are usually noisier - or completely
> black/invisible/something when a hard numerical limit is hit.
>
> Any chance I could get a smallish test case posted to one of the scene
> file groups? I'll stick it in my POVRay_Issues directory and at least
> take a quick look if not now a deep one.

I dug out some work I was doing early in 2018 where I was using a
user_defined functional pigment as the sphere's texture around the
light. At the time I was thinking it might be a good way to define
texture maps or even use use such 'noisy lights' in a scene instead of -
or in addition to - traditional materials. In particular I was thinking
about human skin. The set up is similar to yours except how the texture
is defined.

There was also recent discussion around user_defined cameras and
transforms and it hit me I'd never tested moving my user_defined pigment
around though I fully hoped that technique would work with simple
transforms. It appears it does not - see the attached image 1e5 column.
Not shown, but 1e3 results similarly corrupted and that movement well
away from numerical issues.

So, I got two issues for the price of trying to verify yours! Good news
is I now have a small test scene for both.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lightinspheretran1e6story.png' (694 KB)

Preview of image 'lightinspheretran1e6story.png'
lightinspheretran1e6story.png