POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mining operations in a new future world : Re: Mining operations in a new future world Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:32:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mining operations in a new future world
From: Alain
Date: 12 May 2019 16:32:34
Message: <5cd882e2$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-05-10 à 18:15, Hj. Malthaner a écrit :
> On 5/10/19 4:20 AM, Alain wrote:
>> Le 19-05-09 à 22:09, Hj. Malthaner a écrit :
>>
>> Those excavators seems to small. Even if the ship is HUGE, the
>> excavators should also be huge. If not, it would take for ever to dig
>> out enough minerals to justify such a big ship.
>
> They must somehow fit into the ship. But I'll check the sizes to make
> sure they actually do. I had to redo the ship because these excavators
> needs some means to leave and enter the ship again once done.

Then, they should be collapsable or somewhat articulated so that they
take a little space as possible while in transit.

>> On another note : Why are those canon turrets ever present on an ore
>> transporter/processing ship ?
>
> Pirates or just in general, outlaws. In the world that I assumed as
> background, police forces are only present near well established
> systems. This is actually the first mining ship of mine which has
> cannons because in the story of the former ship there actually were
> pirate problems and I figured I better give this ship some self-defense.
>
> I shrunk the cannons today though, they were almost the size of such an
> excavator and that seemed all wrong.

Ok, so, frontier area mining operation. Then, it makes sense.
So, some weapons as a dissuasion, strong hull and relatively low value
to volume/mass ratio loot. It makes the prospect of attacking less
interesting.

Alain