POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blast from the Past: Realistic Fire in POV-Ray 3.1 (originally by Heiko Rappich on 1998-10-21) : Re: Blast from the Past: Realistic Fire in POV-Ray 3.1 (originally byHeiko Rappich on 1998-10-21) Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:40:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blast from the Past: Realistic Fire in POV-Ray 3.1 (originally byHeiko Rappich on 1998-10-21)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 12 May 2019 02:56:58
Message: <5cd7c3ba@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C362E409A.6AEB3235%40t-online.de%3E/?ttop=426795&toff=1431

> Then three fellow POVers came upw with suggestions, first Ken Tyler:
> "Lower filter value of pigment" (third image attached)
>
> Hendrik Knaepen (a relative of Zeger Knaepen?): "increase emission from
> 0.68 to 5" (fourth image attached).
>
> Finally, Bob Hughes (yes, he already was around back then!): "adapt
> emission color to flame color, replace spherical with onion media
> pattern and decrease turbulence" (fifth image attached).
>
> I rendered all "suggestion versions" with 3.1 on my laptop (did not try
> them in 3.7 yet) - to me, Hendrik Knaepen's suggestion looks most
> promising, I would lower the emission value to something like 3... what
> do you think?

I agree. To make the container less visible, I should also do something
to the density. Concentrate the fire towards the centre and dim it
towards the rim, using a spherical density map.

--
Thomas