POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Parse error: Uncategorized error thrown at parser/parsertypes.cpp line 62 : Re: Parse error:Uncategorizederrorthrownatparser/parsertypes.cppline62 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parse error:Uncategorizederrorthrownatparser/parsertypes.cppline62
From: clipka
Date: 26 Mar 2019 08:10:24
Message: <5c9a16b0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.03.2019 um 11:46 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> Quick additional question. Is it the --enable-debug configure flag that
> - normally - turns on the pov asserts? I've never verified this
> assumption of mine by creating a pov assert in the code I know should fail.

To be honest, I haven't a clue. I'm not sure what the `--enable-debug`
flag does exactly (it's some standard mechanism in the Automake tools),
nor whether and how assertions are enabled or disabled in Unix builds.

I'm pretty sure that `--enable-debug` does enable the creation of debug
information in the binaries, so that a debugging tool can correlate
binary code addresses with original source code lines, so that you can
e.g. set breakpoints and step through the code line by line with a
debugger. I also wouldn't be surprised if it turns off optimizations by
default, because those tend to re-order instructions and make a
line-by-line correlation impossible. Whether it does anything beyond
that I do not know. It might dictate whether `NDEBUG` is defined or not,
which would conceivably disable/enable assertions.