POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Exploring Medieval windows : Re: Exploring Medieval windows Server Time
2 May 2024 16:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Exploring Medieval windows
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Mar 2019 03:40:36
Message: <5c8ca874$1@news.povray.org>
On 15-3-2019 22:39, Alain wrote:
> Le 19-03-15 à 07:54, Thomas de Groot a écrit :

>>> The downside of this is that combining stochastic aa with photons,
>>> will dramatically decrease render speed. A rough calculation for the
>>> image above, with a crude setting of aa (+a0.1) and with photons
>>> enabled, shows that it will take at least 24 hours to render. :-(
>>>

>> Not precise enough I am afraid. I need to give you more relevant info:
>>
>> + The issue mentioned above was solved using UberPOV, without photons,
>> and with no_cache on in the radiosity block. Command line: +w640 +h640
>> +am3 +a0.01 +ac0.995 +r3 +bm2 +bs8 +wt6. Radiosity's count was lowered
>> to 10. Render time seemed acceptably "low" (I didn't render a complete
>> image).
>>
>> + The same settings using UberPOV, this time with photons on, the
>> render time soared up to the estimate of 24 hours+.
>>
>> + Using the latest version of 3.8, and with identical settings for
>> +am3 on the command line (no_cache is /not/ available in this
>> version), both with or without photons available, the render time was
>> "low" i.e. acceptable for a test and within the hour. However, the
>> issue mentioned above was *not* solved. I tried to increase
>> dramatically the count value in the radiosity block but to no avail
>> where the issue was concerned.
>>
>> I would like some expert's view on the matter please.

Thank you Alain, much appreciated. some answers:

> The most obvious issue that I see is where the wall meet the floor. It
> looks like you are getting radiosity samples from the back of the wall.
> Some possibility :
> Make the wall go slightly lower than the floor.

That is already the case.

> Place another box inside the wall at the floor's level.
> Add a plinth in front of the wall. It can make the scene more realistic
> at the same time.

That is certainly something to do.

> Scale up the whole scene by some factor, like 10 times. If using spacing
> for the photons, increase it by the same factor.

That is an interesting idea to follow up upon. I seem dimly to remember
now that this was the best solution given in the past. This time, I am
going to write that down in my notes book. ;-) [and then forget about it
of course]

> If you have some problem with the window, try making the outer edge
> broader so that it goes into the red frame.

That also is already the case. I shall see what happens when scaling the
scene up.

Thanks again!

--
Thomas