POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Steam Fog: First WIP : Re: Steam Fog: First WIP Server Time
3 May 2024 04:00:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Steam Fog: First WIP
From: MichaelJF
Date: 27 Feb 2019 18:03:56
Message: <5c77175c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.02.2019 um 09:55 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> A small test image with the corrected settings. What appears to be the
> horizon is in reality the semitransparent bounding box, the camera being
> situated just a tiny bit above it. The mist strands do not touch that
> upper boundary but be aware that their extension upward is controlled by
> the warp{turbulence} of 0.4 for the y-direction. So, it is a bit tricky
> to find the correct values for the density map without the strands
> piercing the container.
>
> Samples may be a bit low as there are some artifacts visible but I
> wouldn't change it as in your scene they would be hidden by the water
> texture.
>
> I have used here a somewhat denser scattering colour and also scattering
> mode 5 which I often prefer, here with excentricity 0.5.
>
> For this small scene, render time was about 30 minutes.

Hello Thomas,

many, many thanks for your efforts and for solving this problem. I was
on the wrong track. There is another issue with media and sharp edges I
experienced playing around with the emitting media simulating the sun in
this image and expected a similiar problem with the fog. But these two
problems are different issues completely. As Alain confirms your results
one has to consider the amount of turbulence while calculating the
scaling of the media or the boundaries of the container object
additionally.

I will depict the other issue ASAP. At the moment it is at 39% after
some 5 hours of rendering. In this case the container cannot prove a
problem since it is much larger than the media and a box and not a
sphere. I fear it is one of the problems arising from the prescision
settings within POV to deal with the trade off between precision and
rendering time.

Best regards
Michael