POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Updated parser. Standard include warning noise. : Re: Updated parser. Standard include warning noise. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:53:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Updated parser. Standard include warning noise.
From: clipka
Date: 7 Feb 2019 10:33:42
Message: <5c5c4fd6@news.povray.org>
Am 07.02.2019 um 15:56 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> Not sure the particular type of warning introduced with the new parser
> or just post v3.7. Also not sure what might be done to lesson the
> warning noise other than update the shipped includes all to version 3.8
> in the master branch.

This is a general v3.8 thing.

> Any scene with something like:
>
> //---
> #version 3.8;
> global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 ... }
> #default { ... }

> #include "colors.inc"
> //---
>
> where the include drops back to an earlier version triggers them and,
> depending on scene construction, makes for quite a bit of useless
> warning noise.

There are two ways to address this issue:

(1) Educate users that includes should be placed before any `default`
statement.

(2) Update the include files (which btw. won't be delivered before the
beta phase).

Another approach to reduce the number of such warnings might be to not
trigger them when a `#version` statement is encountered, but only when
defaults are actually accessed; but that would be some work in the parser.

(BTW, I have an aversion to the `#default` notation, and think `default`
- without the `#` - should be considered the canonical one; the reason
being that I think the concept of default values is more at home among
the "raw" descriptive portions of the SDL, than the slapped-on
imperative programming portion that is the set of `#` directives.)