POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : voronoi forrest : Re: voronoi forrest Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:47:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: voronoi forrest
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Feb 2019 02:51:30
Message: <5c594082$1@news.povray.org>
On 4-2-2019 20:06, Bald Eagle wrote:
> ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> Proof of concept, voronoi forrest with about a 100 trees and saplings
>> with non intersecting foliage.
>
>> I won't persue this any more for the moment eventhough there are many
>> possibilties. Also for clouds etc.
>

> Nice, although I might be tempted to loosely correlate the size of the bole with
> the height of the tree and diameter of the trunk.
> Tall narrow trees might be done with scaled spheres to give a tall but narrow
> ellipsoid.
>
> Good work  :)

I agree. Incidentally, in one of the latest Nature journals (vol.265, 17
January 2019, p.280) there was a photograph heading the article "The
Forest Question", that shows the canopy of a trees species - I think
from Madagascar - that do not touch mutually. The branches just stop
growing before reaching the canopy of a neighbouring tree. From below,
it gives the impression of a crackle pattern.

This is an exception. most other trees have more or less
interpenetrating canopies.

--
Thomas