POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fonts Rant : Re: Fonts Rant Server Time
28 Apr 2024 07:54:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fonts Rant
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 25 Jan 2019 16:42:48
Message: <5c4b82d8$1@news.povray.org>
On 2019-01-10 11:01 PM (-4), clipka wrote:
> In the wake of changing the TrueType font handling, I found out that the
> fonts we're currently shipping with POV-Ray are crap. Total and utter
> crap. Not from an artistic point (that could be debated), but from
> conceptual and technical points. [...]

You're just noticing?

> Let's start with a look at the choice of fonts: We have a serif font
> (`timrom.ttf`) and a sans-serif (`crystal.ttf`) font. So far, so good.

Crystal is monospace in addition to san-serif.  Artistically, it can use
a bit of kerning, but IMHO so can most other monospace fonts, and this
is already handled by the existing text object anyway.

> But when we look beyond ASCII characters, pretty much all we have is in
> a third font (`cyrvetic.ttf`), and it is... no, not Unicode, that would
> be too much to expect...

Which is why BrightStar5 lists a Unicode font--user's choice--as a
prerequisite.  Fortunately, it's hard to find a computer without them
nowadays.

> no, not the most widespread non-Unicode
> extension to ASCII, namely Windows-1252... no, it's Cyrillic. I mean
> come on, seriously? You can give us "дерьмо", but not good old German
> "Scheiße", despite some key developers having been German speakers? Or
> "flûte", pardon my French, despite a great tradition of French-speaking
> community members?

Am I to understand that you're teaching us to cuss in Russian now?

Greek letters would have been quite useful to me.  But not stuck down in
the 00A0 - 00FF range.  :P