POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image based normal maps? : Re: image based normal maps? Server Time
2 May 2024 01:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image based normal maps?
From: clipka
Date: 21 Jan 2019 21:15:33
Message: <5c467cc5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.01.2019 um 02:33 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> I just got done fiddling with an idea.
> First, I'm curious how an internal/predefined function like f_noise3d still need
> functions.inc.

POV-Ray knows a couple of inbuilt functions.
It doesn't know them by any name though, just by internal numbers.

There's a special syntax to assign names to those internal numbers,
which is exactly what `functions.inc` is doing.

> Second - here's a noise-based normal function,
> S is scale of the pattern
> D is a small delta shift for the 3x3 sampling grid
>
> 0.01 seems to be where things shift from one weird version to another.
> large values give some interesting repeating "ghosts" almost like a repeat warp,
> and small values give closer to the native function (D=0) which has very well
> defined "rings" which are much softer at D=0.1

My guess is that it's some interference between your oversampling of the
normal and the normal's internal sampling.

BTW, while working on the parser source code I just noticed that there's
a parameter to control the "resolution" of the internal sampling, called
`accuracy`. It defaults to 0.02, which explains why it's at this order
of magnitude that strange things kick in.