POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image based normal maps? : Re: image based normal maps? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 13:43:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image based normal maps?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jan 2019 07:00:58
Message: <5c45b47a$1@news.povray.org>
On 21-1-2019 11:05, ingo wrote:
> in news:5c457919$1@news.povray.org Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>> note: I am not going to re-read that loooooooong thread...
>>

> It's in the docs, but not where you expect it.
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:File_Output_Options

Indeed; I did not look there at all.

> Should appear in a few more places imo, like:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Color_Expressions#Dot_Item_Access
> _for_Colors

Probably, in explaining how .grey/.gray is calculated. That seems to be
missing.

> And it appears that .hf = (Red + Green/255)*0.996093 not the same as .gray
> as I thought.
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.2
> #Noise_and_pigment_functions
> The only appearence of .hf I could find,

Where also the value of .grey/.gray is given.

.hf is typically used in height_field functions like, e.g.:
height_field {function HF_res, HF_res {F_HF_01(x,y,z).hf}}

Contrary to what is said in the docs, .hf does not generate a warning
(any more).

--
Thomas