POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fonts Rant : Re: Fonts Rant Server Time
27 Apr 2024 16:51:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fonts Rant
From: clipka
Date: 15 Jan 2019 15:12:30
Message: <5c3e3eae$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.01.2019 um 07:38 schrieb ingo:
> Would it also be possible to make the fonts avalable as splines? Thinking
> of spheresweeps, sweeping spheres, lofting and extruding mesh's,

Technically that should certainly be possible - with some limitations
though. Most notably, I expect such splines to be useless in animations,
as the "time" values would presumably be arbitrary and unrelated to the
actual length of the individual spline segments.

As an aside, the FreeType library also supports some font formats that
are stroke-based rather than outline-based.

As for Bezier splines, it is a shame we don't have a common consistent
spline framework across all spline-based features, and if I (or someone
else?) ever find the time I hope that will change.