POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RMS Titanic : Re: RMS Titanic Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:59:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RMS Titanic
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Dec 2018 10:32:30
Message: <5c16700e$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/12/2018 23:38, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>
>> Bishop3D uses bicubic patches. That is what I used to throw my image
>> together.
>
> I always forget about Bishop - but I hardly ever use a modeler.

I use one 95% of the time.

>> It can also import a subset of Pov ver 3.6 sdl.
>
> That's pretty cool!  :)   I don't think there are any other software packages
> that can _import from_ POV-Ray   :O

There was something quite a while ago that could parse Pov 2.0 code. I
never got it to work. :(

>> Moray uses bicubic patches and its method is better. It can create
>> stitched together bicubic patches.
>
> Hmm.  Been a few years since I fired up Moray - does it spit out SDL?

Only as *.pov code. and it is nearly 15 years since I used it except for
reference.

>> <aside> I should have mentioned that when Bald Eagle was doing it
>> programmatically. Sorry Bill, it could have served as a reference. </aside>
>
> No worries.   It was mostly an exercise in learning how to wrestle bicubic
> patches into shape, contiguously, and with normals.  Also how to place objects
> ON the surface.
>
> But I will file that info away in the rusty sieve inside my head...   :D

But a rusty sieve can be impermeable. :)

>> Early this morning I found that Nvidia had rendering software called
>> Gelato that can use bicubic patches and Nvidia GPUs. It is no longer
>> supported but it is free to download. It cost 1500 USD at the time.
>> The download came with 3DMax, Mayo and Renderman plugins.
>> I will try the free version of Renderman and see if I can get it working.
>
> I'd use a modeler more often if I could bounce back and forth between it and the
> editor --- or the best thing would be to somehow have some sort of real-time
> faux-traced preview as the SDL got written...  wireframe or something

You can incorporate hand written code into B3D's scenes.
But B3D is so out of date.

--

Regards
     Stephen