POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Colour from single trace : Re: Colour from single trace Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:43:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour from single trace
From: clipka
Date: 15 Nov 2018 13:38:01
Message: <5bedbd09$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.11.2018 um 18:33 schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> Now, let's fight about trace_uv_map or any better spelling or wording.

Since you cannot compute an UV coordinate without computing an
intersection, I would lean towards designing this as an extension to the
existing `trace` function, via yet another optional parameter after the
normal variable. That way we can avoid double work when the user wants
both the intersection point's location and the UV coordinates.

Also, if for some reason we need to implement it as a separate function,
I would prefer `trace_uv`. We don't have the `map` appendix in any other
UV mapping related stuff (e.g. it is `uv_vectors`, not
`uv_map_vectors`), so adding it here would be inconsistent.