POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Colour from single trace : Re: Colour from single trace Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:56:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour from single trace
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 15 Nov 2018 12:33:43
Message: <5bedadf7$1@news.povray.org>
Le 15/11/2018 à 18:08, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 14/11/2018 à 11:05, And a écrit :
>> In my imagine there is another function traceUvMap(start_point, direction)
>> return the uv-map <u, v>
>
> Objections, my dear:
> 1. usual SDL is lowercase, and words are separated with underscore, not
> Camel syntax (as Uppercase is reserved to users)
>
> 2. trace() requires an object, as the whole scene is not yet available,
> and you might trace to defined but not present in scene object
>
> So it would rather looks like
> trace_uv_map( object, start_point, direction)

And it's a kind of 5 minutes patch, see at;
https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/tree/feature/traceUvMap

demo to get output:
UV : <0.000, 1.000>

with

#version 3.8;
global_settings{ assumed_gamma 1.0 }

#declare Object = sphere { 0, 1 }

#declare Start = <0,4,0>;
#declare Dir = -Start;

#declare UV= trace_uv_map( Object, Start, Dir );

#debug concat("UV : <", vstr(2, UV, ", ", 0, 3 ), ">\n")

Now, let's fight about trace_uv_map or any better spelling or wording.