POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Object inside opaque media : Re: Object inside opaque media Server Time
6 May 2024 01:01:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object inside opaque media
From: Stephen
Date: 11 Nov 2018 17:51:04
Message: <5be8b258$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/11/2018 21:09, clipka wrote:
> The easiest solution is probably to create two entirely separate
> animation sequences: One that takes you from orbit into dense atmosphere
> (with the planet invisible), and another one that takes you from dense
> atmosphere down to the surface (with the sky invisible).

I think this addresses the nub of the problem.
Because what we want to do is compress what, in real life, would take
quite some time, to a video short enough to hold our attention and have
a reasonable file size.
As Tom Lehrer implied in "Lobachevsky"*. The answer is to cheat.
I think it can be done with just textures, transparency and the right
transitions. But as my wife is getting out of hospital this week. I
don’t think that I’ll have time to work on the transitions.

*
For those too young to remember. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlfXirQF3A

--