POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shot glass test : Re: Shot glass test, with liquid Server Time
5 May 2024 13:43:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shot glass test, with liquid
From: clipka
Date: 28 Oct 2018 06:44:33
Message: <5bd59311$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.10.2018 um 19:28 schrieb Kenneth:

>> As for the alpha thing, it might be worth trying `use_alpha on` in the
>> finish block. That'll turn off that texture layer's highlights and
>> specular reflections wherever the image is transparent.
>
> Is that an undocumented feature of use_alpha? (Or perhaps I'm not reading the
> docs correctly?) In '3.6.2.6.4 Using the Alpha Channel', the only thing I see
> there that might give a clue is this:
>
> "Note: The following mechanism has some limitations with colored highlights:

That's the documentation on alpha channel /output/. What we're looking
at here is alpha channel /input/, which for the most part is documented
in the section on image_map, including the old `use_alpha` mechanism.

But the additional new use of `use_alpha` keyword in the finish block is
documented in the section on finish (pretty much as a side note). As a
matter of fact it not only applies to image_map, but any pigment that
features transparency.