POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Continental Hub : Re: Continental Hub Server Time
27 Apr 2024 20:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Continental Hub
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Oct 2018 03:22:05
Message: <5bc9861d$1@news.povray.org>
On 19-10-2018 2:05, Bald Eagle wrote:

>> A few comments about the image:
>> - Bald Eagle is thanked for little code that renders "an alternative
>> spiral". It is the basis for the rocky outcrop height_field.
>
> Thanks - glad to have provided something useful.
> I would never have recognized it  :D
>
> What does the heightfield image look like?  Did you make "an alternative
> spiral" and then blur it to get the tapering into the plain?

I took the image rendered by your code as basis for further work in the
GeoControl program, which transformed it into a /real/ height_field. As
a next step in POV-Ray, I added a second height_field for the near
plain, and a simple disk{} to join to the sphere representing the sky
(distance is 10e4 pov units).

>> - One million trees (2 types) were planted to fight rising CO2 levels.
>
> <Dr. Evil> "One MILLION trees...." </Dr. Evil>

Yes... One has to produce impressive figures to the international press
otherwise they do not believe you. Fake news and all that, you know. :-)

> I think that phytoplankton, prairie grasses, and cannabis sativa (that other
> grass), would make a far bigger dent, much faster.

Of course! However, trees are so much more sexy!

>> - Fifty thousand boulders (also 2 types) were thrown to earth. Nice to
>> mention that their sizes gradually decrease with distance from the camera.
>
> ....Why?   From where?

Oh, you know, sloppy programming, too much coffee, too little dried frog
pills... No wonder some boulders look strange...

> Aside from that, and others comments, I'll join in with agreeing that your rock
> texture is indeed very nice.
>
>> - The space structure was built in Silo2.
>
> Nice.
> Though very different - it kinda reminds me of the "Kluchikov" isosurface.
> I think I'd like to see some additional renders of that.

I fully agree.

--
Thomas