POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : shiny plastic : Re: shiny plastic Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:56:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shiny plastic
From: Alain
Date: 12 Oct 2018 23:41:59
Message: <5bc16987$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-10-12 à 21:18, David Kraics a écrit :
> Can anyone suggest a good finish to render a television that has the "shiny
> plastic" on the front? I tried the finishes in the metals.inc file but they
> reflect too well.

The finishes from metals.inc are only to be used to model metallic
surfaces. They are not realist for plastics, paints and varnishes or
liquids like water.

The reflection from plastics are not constant, they respect the fresnel
equation.
So, you need to :
1) Use the fresnel in the finish :
  finish{[Finish_Items] reflection{Max_Reflection
fresnel}[[conserve_energy] More_Finish_Items]}
«conserve_energy» is only needed for transparent surfaces.

2) Add an interior block where you set an ior. It should be in the 1.4
to 1.7 range. Example :
  interior{ior 1.5 [dispersion Dispersion_Value]}

Having an ior do not require that you have any transparency.
Adding some dispersion can slightly affect the aspect of the surface and
make the reflection very slightly bluer, unless you use some insane
dispersion amount.

Alain