POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled : Re: X Windows display: disabled Server Time
15 May 2024 19:55:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X Windows display: disabled
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 Oct 2018 06:04:59
Message: <5bb888cb$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/05/2018 10:28 AM, Le Forgeron wrote:
> Le 05/10/2018 à 14:11, William F Pokorny a écrit :
>> On 10/04/2018 01:11 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> Le 03/10/2018 à 20:19, William F Pokorny a écrit :

>> Unsure what the black magic might be and no time to dig at the moment.
>> I don't think email via github works these days. I'll post a quick
>> comment to the closed issue about getting the SDL2 window to work.
>>

> Relax, last night (after midnight) was a bit of good, I should have a
> working prototype with SDL2 soon (I got the window to show, and even to
> update, but I had to resort to tutorial for that, and the original logic
> of the code seems at large)
>
> I also had a look at X11 code of 3.1 and it seems the SDL code (1.2 & 2)
> get a lot of inherited complexity from the old render pattern (3.1: one
> pixel at a time, on the same line, then next line): for instance the
> "optimisation" of rectangle to update is totally wrong now (rectangle is
> never reset, so the whole picture is updated every block, but it is even
> more complex, If I get it correctly, the update of pixels is done by a
> thread and the update of the window is done by another thread (good: the
> update of the window can be slow, so better do it in the front end thread).
>
> It was nice to see the title bar with the "paused" text when rendering
> "make check".
>
> On the sad news, I tried animation and it crashed (but there is comment
> already in official sdl 1.2 disp_sdl.cpp about that kind).

Glad to hear you are making progress.

---
We have too this lockup issue I stumbled across while looking at an
earlier one:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/142

Not SDL1.2/2 really I guess, but suppose related some to pausing and how
the code is set up. Looks like I should have posted a follow up to that
issue in that I didn't have success in creating version of code that
locked up more routinely. I put my effort to fix it on the shelf for
later.

So many of my grand POV-Ray ideas fall to the reality I'm still lousy at
C++, autotools, et al - even after significant study. :-( Ten year rule
to really get good at anything I guess. Good news is I have only 7 or 8
years to go...

Sadly, I'm now too old for this route to quick C++ proficiency:

https://abstrusegoose.com/249

Bill P.