POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled : Re: X Windows display: disabled Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X Windows display: disabled
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Oct 2018 07:11:53
Message: <5bb35279@news.povray.org>
Le 01/10/2018 à 20:29, jr a écrit :
> hi,

>> Am 01.10.2018 um 18:36 schrieb jr:
>>> I think POV-Ray does not "do" X at all, the last version (I have access to)
>>> which does is 3.6.1.  from 3.7.x it uses the SDL instead.  a real pity because
>>> if POV-Ray output to an actual X window, knocking up front-ends a la 'qtpovray'
>>> would be  doable in a(ny) number of (scripting) languages, with a single
>>> supporting command line switch (cf 'xterm -into $id').
>>> (also, why SDL in the first place?  all the joystick and audio etc facilities,
>>> unused.  yet, no preview without)
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it was primarily a matter of maintainability. And with
>> SDL being able to drive Xlib, my naive assumption as a Windows jockey is
>> that it /should/ still work.
>
> I did have a look at the API (some time ago, not long after installing 3.7), as
> I recall there is no way of telling SDL to use a given window (id).

what about SDL_CreateWindowFrom() ? (just googling libsdl)

The main issue with SDL so far in povray is the lack of title for the
render window.

I need to investigate SDL_SetWindowTitle()

https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_SetWindowTitle

> using Xlib (or lower) directly would have the added benefit of the built-in
> network transparency.

Oh, the dependancy on Xlib is even worse, and Xlib programming is painful.

Also, there is the Wayland menace (no more network, but windows does not
either, so who care... me !)