POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ignore .ini Errorrs in 3.7 : Re: Ignore .ini Errorrs in 3.7 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:38:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ignore .ini Errorrs in 3.7
From: clipka
Date: 1 Oct 2018 14:19:36
Message: <5bb26538$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.10.2018 um 18:01 schrieb Thorsten Froehlich:

>> The INI file option was removed entirely in POV-Ray v3.7 when it should
>> have been just marked as obsoleve. I'm working on a fix.
>
> It was made obsolete in 3.6 (or maybe even 3.5) and removed in 3.7. [...]
> It is not a bug, but intentional design that hasn't
> bothered anybody in a wopping 14 years...

Probably as intentional a design decision as removing `Buffer_Output`
and `Buffer_Size` - a change that was revised by Chris just 10 days
later, presumably because people did complain.

People complaining is a good reason to review design decisions, but my
hunch is that what happened back then was just patching things that
people were complaining about, rather than coming up with a consistent
policy (or realizing that an existing policy had been violated) and
going with it all the way.

POV-Ray has a long-standing policy of trying to maintain backward
compatibility with legacy scene files (or files generated by legacy
tools). That policy is watered down if POV-Ray can't also read the
corresponding legacy INI file. Re-instating `Buffer_Output` and
`Buffer_Size` as "zombie" settings was a logical consequence of that
policy, but it only went half the way.