POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Calculating planet positions : Re: Calculating planet rotations Server Time
27 Apr 2024 20:41:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating planet rotations
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 26 Sep 2018 16:26:47
Message: <5babeb87$1@news.povray.org>
Le 26/09/2018 à 19:45, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> Thanks again for the help!
>
> A couple of comments:
>
> 1. What is the significance of the long yellow cylinder?

It is the axis around which the planet get rotated by 90-delta degree,
to place its pole axis in space.

> 2. The render of "step.pov" you posted still does not look like the
> Celestia screenshot. The Celestia screenshot in my last post is what the
> scene *should* look like, and the scene is off by quite a bit. I'm not
> sure what's wrong, either.

I'm still not sure about your ecliptic correction, can you try to see
what happen when you remove it ?
Also, check your camera parameter, there was a bit of comments and I
might have touched it.

Loonking at the French wikipedia for equatorial coordinate system,

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syst%C3%A8me_de_coordonn%C3%A9es_%C3%A9quatoriales

there is a note about converting alpha to latitude/time.

+alpha is to the east.

English version has even an animation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_coordinate_system

Is the mismatch about the pole ?
Or the placement of continents ?

I'm not sure about the axis of obliquity, especially after the transform
of alpha & delta.