POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Calculating planet positions : Re: Calculating planet rotations Server Time
5 May 2024 00:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating planet rotations
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 25 Sep 2018 01:39:44
Message: <5ba9ca20$1@news.povray.org>
Found a document with a table of values:

https://astropedia.astrogeology.usgs.gov/download/Docs/WGCCRE/WGCCRE2009reprint.pdf

The pertinent variables are alpha, delta and W. What do I do with these
variables? Dunno for sure. This document provides a formula:

https://depositonce.tu-berlin.de/bitstream/11303/6237/4/burmeister_steffi.pdf

I /think/ I need to rotate around the z-axis by W, around the x-axis by
(90-δ), and around the z-axis again by (90+α), in that order. Lastly, an
additional rotation (around the x-axis?) by 23.43928 degrees must be
done to get the body out of the ICRF frame and into the ecliptic frame.

But I still don't know the starting conditions. I.e. before applying the
transformations, should the globe's North Pole point upward? Should the
intersection of the Prime Meridian and Equator lie along the x-axis?
Also, am I wrong, and should I perform the inverse matrix calculations
instead? Either way, I have not gotten results that match what I see in
Celestia for the same Julian Date.

Mike