POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : grouping transforms into one final rotation? : Re: grouping transforms into one final rotation? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:00:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: grouping transforms into one final rotation?
From: clipka
Date: 18 Sep 2018 03:36:02
Message: <5ba0aae2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.09.2018 um 03:27 schrieb Kenneth:

> Just a thought for the future: Could there be a way of writing some source-code
> that would deal with all the matrix multiplication etc. behind the scenes, with
> the end result being a user syntax that would actually allow simple dot-notation
> to pull out x/y/z components from a transform (maybe just for rotations)?

It might be possible to conjure up something to get at the matrix
coefficients easier.

As for converting a matrix back into Euler rotation angles, I don't
think it would make sense to put anything into the source code; this is
too much of a special case to warrant increasing the matrix memory
footprint to track rotation separately.

I guess it would make sense though to provide some macros in math.inc to
help with that. Either a macro to actually decompose a rotation-only
matrix back into rotation angles, or a macro to combine two Euler
rotation vectors into a new Euler rotation vector.

Unfortunately I myself currently don't have the time to switch to "math
mode" and concoct something like that, so somebody else would have to
pick up that glove.