POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : #debug concat truncating text? : Re: #debug concat truncating text? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:58:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #debug concat truncating text?
From: clipka
Date: 13 Sep 2018 08:40:30
Message: <5b9a5abe@news.povray.org>
Am 13.09.2018 um 14:11 schrieb clipka:

> Debug output is limited to 200 characters per `#debug` directive; if
> that limit is exceeded, the message is truncated to 156 characters and
> "..." appended to indicate the deed.
> (Don't ask me about the rationale; I'm just a messenger of
> implementation facts here.)

BTW, this limit seems to have originally been introduced with v3.5.0,
where the numbers were 160 and 124 characters, respectively; in v3.6.0
it was changed to the current values.

There is /some/ rationale to such behaviour, because other downstream
code cannot cope with arbitrarily large strings. The limit there is (and
seems to have always been) 1023 characters though. Also, that bottleneck
could be circumvented.

Also, the limit might come in handy to prevent you from shooting
yourself in the foot with excessively long debug messages that would
take ages to display; though I think POV-Ray users don't need such
babysitting, and besides there are plenty of other sharp objects
scattered around in POV-Ray to hurt oneself with.