POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : new speed : Re: new speed Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new speed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 24 Aug 2018 09:51:34
Message: <5b800d66@news.povray.org>
On 08/24/2018 05:34 AM, dick balaska wrote:
> On 08/23/2018 02:33 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>
> I don't know, man.  I like my i7, but this new i5 is *fast*.
> I reran a scene and this is the number of frames that each contributed:
>
> name    frames  % of total
>          contrib
> james	1275	32.93     # i5-8400 @ 2.8GHz (6 cores 6 threads)
> cyd	789	20.38     # i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz (4 cores, 8 threads)
> joe	701	18.10     # i5-7400 @ 3.0GHz (4 cores) (2017 box)
> ringo	618	15.96     # i5-4460 @ 3.2GHz (4 cores) (2015 box)
> liza	489	12.63     # i5-3330 @ 3.0GHz (4 cores) (2013 box)
>
> That scene ran for 8 days and the new i5 was only up for 6 days. I'd bet
> the next scene he gets close to 40% of the total work.

Interesting - especially it not slowing over time. Supposing:

grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo

shows all six cpu values?

Mike posted a wikipedia link for the i5 generations and something which
caught my eye there is the turbo boost is being applied to your
processor relatively evenly across all cores. 10/10/11/11/11/12
multipliers of 100mhz where on older processors it was more unevenly
boosted and by less. Expect this playing a part in your good performance
too.

I wonder if having the hyperthreading circuitry off in each core - my
understanding is it is there, but disabled - allows each core to run
cooler? There would be less demand for on die core specific storage too
I guess with just one thread.

Christoph, You wondered about articles. Found at least one of the
articles I'd read about more cores instead of threads:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/leaked-benchmarks-show-intel-is-dropping-hyperthreading-from-i7-chips/

My memory not quite right on things with respect to the current
generation of i5s, but the more cores no threads direction at similar
price is good news for POV-Ray.

Bill P.