POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld (continued) : Re: Ringworld (continued) Server Time
20 May 2024 12:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld (continued)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Aug 2018 07:32:44
Message: <5b6c265c$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-8-2018 10:10, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I would suggest to play with the settings of the density_map. Not
>> tested, but something like:
>>
>> density_map {
>>    [0.00 rgb 0.0]
>>    [0.90 rgb 0.9]
>>    [0.90 rgb 1.0]
>> }
>>

> Yeah, I thought of that too, but haven't been successful.
>
> I also tried changing the formula so that x y and z are cubed instead of
> squared, but it turned the whole image black!
>
> Meh.
>

> Mike

I tested this and it looks acceptable to me:

#local MyScale = 10;

sphere {
   0, 1
   hollow
   texture {pigment {rgbt 1}}
   interior {
     media {
       emission 3/MyScale
       density{
         spherical
         density_map {
           [0.10 rgb <0.0, 0, 0.0>]
           [0.95 rgb <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>*0.2]
           [0.95 rgb <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>]
         }
       }
     }
   }
   scale MyScale
}

Instead of 'spherical', you may need something else more appropriate. I
have problems with the function you use for the density map.

--
Thomas