POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld (continued) : Re: Ringworld (continued) Server Time
20 May 2024 09:58:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld (continued)
From: Stephen
Date: 8 Aug 2018 17:35:33
Message: <5b6b6225$1@news.povray.org>

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=Ringworld&version=2.0&contributorTag=SharkD

>>> I also attached my latest render to this post. The shadow squares'
>>> widths now match what was apparently stated in the books. The
>>> shadowed regions on the ring look much better now.
>>>
>>> However, I had to double the height of the shadow squares in order to
>>> block out the sun. See the parameter `RWorld_Shadow_Square_Width`.
>>> I'm not sure why this was necessary, as the original height was equal
>>> to the sun's diameter, and should have fully blocked its light.
>>>

>> Do the two area_light vectors <Axis_1> and <Axis_2> extend beyond the
>> star's volume?
>>

> 1. the axis lengths are equal to the sun's diameter
> 2. the area light is circular and oriented
> 3. the sun's diameter should be equal to the shadow squares' height
> according to Niven's website

Just a check list.
I just noticed that the data I was looking at was from the game. Oops.

> 4. an array of point lights in the shape of a sphere does not suffer
> from the issues I'm experiencing

How do you do that without them clustering at the poles?

>>> Oh well.
>>>

>> I like the image especially the shadows cast by the shadow squares in
>> the solar wind. :)
>>

> Thanks!
>

>> Unfortunately I don't have CIE.inc or lightsys.inc installed. :(
>>

> I use them in nearly everything. Not sure why. Probably just habit.

Probably a good habit to have.

--

Regards
     Stephen