POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld (continued) : Re: Ringworld (continued) Server Time
9 May 2024 21:35:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld (continued)
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 8 Aug 2018 17:02:17
Message: <5b6b5a59@news.povray.org>

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=Ringworld&version=2.0&contributorTag=SharkD

>> I also attached my latest render to this post. The shadow squares'
>> widths now match what was apparently stated in the books. The shadowed
>> regions on the ring look much better now.
>>
>> However, I had to double the height of the shadow squares in order to
>> block out the sun. See the parameter `RWorld_Shadow_Square_Width`. I'm
>> not sure why this was necessary, as the original height was equal to
>> the sun's diameter, and should have fully blocked its light.
>>

> Do the two area_light vectors <Axis_1> and <Axis_2> extend beyond the
> star's volume?

1. the axis lengths are equal to the sun's diameter
2. the area light is circular and oriented
3. the sun's diameter should be equal to the shadow squares' height
according to Niven's website
4. an array of point lights in the shape of a sphere does not suffer
from the issues I'm experiencing

>> Oh well.
>>

> I like the image especially the shadows cast by the shadow squares in
> the solar wind. :)

Thanks!

> Unfortunately I don't have CIE.inc or lightsys.inc installed. :(

I use them in nearly everything. Not sure why. Probably just habit.

Mike